Hi! If you’ve been around here for a minute, you know that essential oils have changed our lives. We use them for just about everything: emotional support, immune support, skin support, muscle support, seasonal support, to clean our entire home, to clean our clothes, the list goes on and on. You can read all about why we got into essential oils HERE and how you can join us in making our homes healthier and happier HERE!
To get started, I highly suggest purchasing a starter kit. It is the easiest and most economical way to start your journey! The kit comes with 12 oils (trust me, you will use every single one! I will teach you how!), 2 roller bottle caps, 2 packets of Ningxia Red, which is our amazing antioxidant drink that is the perfect afternoon pick-me-up, Thieves Household Cleaner, Thieves Hand Sanitizer AND a diffuser of your choice! It comes with A LOT! Along with the kit there are some additional tools that I’ve really loved having. Today I’ll be sharing those with you and how I use them with my oils.
- Witch hazel – You know how when you mix oil and water it’s a heterogeneous mixture, meaning the oil and the water stay separated? Well witch hazel prevents that from happening when mixing essential oils with water. I use it in any spray recipe that I make with oils. For example, our bathroom spray (Purification EO, distilled water, and witch hazel) and our lavender linen spray (Lavender EO, distilled water, and witch hazel), both of which we use daily! You can also make a lovely face toner using witch hazel, distilled water, and your favorite skin support oils. This is a must in your oily tool kit!
- Roller bottle travel case – I keep this roller bottle travel case in my purse at all times. It’s so cute! The rollers that I have in it are a seasonal support blend, immune support blend, Magnify Your Destiny, unicorn blend, muscle support blend, and tummy support blend. If you’re reading that and you’re like what in the heck are all of these? Don’t worry! Once you get a starter kit, you are joined into a community FULL of resources and information to help you make these yourself! They are very simple and very effective.
- Fractionated coconut oil – This is in the tool kit because it can be used as a carrier oil for your essential oils and in roller bottle blends! Essential oils can be so powerful and potent (especially from a company like Young Living that has an exceptional Seed to Seal Promise) that it’s important to dilute them using a carrier oil. Fractionated coconut oil is a great one to use! It is the most cost-effective because it will never go rancid.
- Jojoba oil – This is another carrier oil to use. It’s actually what we use most in our house because Jojoba oil will not clog your pores if you use it on your face, for example. I’ve never actually had that issue with fractionated coconut oil either though!
- Wool dryer balls – Removing dryer sheets from our laundry routine was the very first things we did when we starting ditching and switching products in our home. I actually didn’t do it to be healthier though, I really did it for the financial and environmental implications. I just thought that it was such a waste to be throwing out dryer sheets after every load and figured if I could reuse these over and over again and they would maybe decrease the drying time, why not try them out? Months later I started learning about why it’s also important to stop using dryer sheets and fabric softener for health reasons and was shocked. I suggest looking into it and doing your own educated research. There is a lot out of information out there but my biggest nugget of information is this – your skin is your largest organ. The chemicals that are remaining on your clothes after they are washed and dried will be ones that seep into your pores nearly every minute of your day. That’s why changing our laundry products was one of the first things we did.
- The Healing Power of Essential Oils – This book is AMAZING! I highly recommend getting it. It is full of useful information and recipes for your oils. This combined with our oily community and you’ll be set with knowledge, resources, and education for our to implement and utilize essential oils in your home!
- Glass amber bottles set – It’s important to use glass with your essential oils because they can break down the petrochemicals in plastic and leach into your blends. I’d also avoid aluminum and stainless steel because the essential oils can also break down the heavy metals in those materials. This set has everything you’d need to get started with your kit!
- Diffuser – Your Starter Kit will come with a beautiful Young Living diffuser of your choice. However, after getting that one, you’re going to want one in every room! I LOVE this diffuser off of Amazon. It’s inexpensive, it has multiple settings and timers, can function as a humidifier, and the tank is very large. It can run for such a long time! I highly recommend it.
- Roller bottles – One of my favorite things to do with essential oils is to make roller bottle blends not only for our family but for others! These have really come in handy recently with gifts. If we’re going over to a friends house, for example, and I just want to put a little something together to say “thank you for having us!”, I quickly grab one of these roller bottles and whip up a favorite blend of mine (usually it’s the unicorn blend)! Or if a friend of mine says something like, “I’m having terrible neck tension” or “my son can’t seem to get rid of his swimmers ear”, I’ll search in our group for essential oils and recipes that could support my friend’s issues and make a blend for them using these bottles. It’s just a little something to show that I care and I hear them. You guys wouldn’t believe the number of times people have come back to me saying, “What is in this?! It worked so well to help me with ____.” It brings me so much joy!
Here are some extra items that I’ve gathered over time that I really love!
- Essential Glow book – This book has so many great recipes in it!
- Essential Oils Pocket Reference – This book is phenomenal. It explains every single oil, the purpose it serves, how to use it, etc. I highly recommend getting this one.
- Embossing label maker – I would link my exact one on here but I’ve had so much trouble with it I don’t want to recommend it (I bought it on clearance for dirt cheap). Brooke from @nestingwithgrace and @nestingwell uses this one and loves it!
- Amber glass dropper bottles – These are the bottles that I use for my glow serum. They’re super cute and function great. Just note that these are 1 oz. bottles and not 2 oz.
If you want to start replacing products in your home, the best way to do that is by purchasing a starter kit HERE. Once you purchase a starter kit, everything is wholesale price!
Please let me know if you have any questions! I’d be more than happy to help!
Other posts you might enjoy: